Dolhansky, B. and Bilmes, J. Deep Submodular Functions. To appear in NIPS 2016.
Schmidt, E., Prockup, M., Scott, J., Dolhansky, B., Morton, B., Kim, Y. E., (2013). Analyzing the Perceptual Salience of Audio Features for Musical Emotion Recognition. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer. [PDF]
Dolhansky, B. (2012). Musical ensemble classification using universal background model adaptation and the Million Song Dataset. (Master's Thesis). [PDF]
Schmidt, E. M., Prockup, M., Scott, J., Dolhansky, B., Morton, B. and Kim, Y. E. (2012). Relating perceptual and feature space invariances in music emotion recognition. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Computer Music Modeling and Retrieval, London, U.K.: CMMR. Best Student Paper. [PDF] [Oral Presentation]
Scott, J., Dolhansky, B., Prockup, M., McPherson, A., Kim, Y. E. (2012). New Physical and Digital Interfaces for Music Creation and Expression. Proceedings of the 2012 Music, Mind and Invention Workshop, Ewing, NJ: [PDF]
Dolhansky, B., McPherson, A., Kim, Y. E.. Designing an Expressive Virtual Percussion Instrument. (2011). Proceedings of the 2011 Sound and Music Computing (SMC) Conference, 2011., July 2011. [PDF]
Kim, Y. E., Batula, A. M., Migneco, R., Richardson, P., Dolhansky, B., Grunberg, D., Morton, B., Prockup, M., Schmidt, E. M., and Scott, J.. (2011). Teaching STEM concepts through music technology and DSP, in IEEE 14th Digital Signal Processing Workshop and 6th IEEE Signal Processing Education Workshop, 2011. DSP/SPE 2011., January 2011. [PDF]
Prockup, M., Dolhansky, B., A platform for rapid development of multi-touch applications. (2009). Poster presentation at Drexel University Research Day, 2009. Best Undergrad Poster in Computation and Modelling .[PDF]
Dolhansky, B., Flash applications for music and DSP education. (2008). Poster presentation at the Drexel University Students Tackling Advanced Research (STAR) Poster Session, 2008. [PDF]
CIS 520 Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia PA.
September 2012 - December 2012.
- Taught several lectures for the graduate machine learning course at U. of Penn.
- Devised, created, and ran final project and associated code
- Held weekly office hours and answered student questions on class message board
Research Assistant, Music Entertainment Technology Lab, Drexel University, Philadelphia PA.
June 2008 - August 2012.
- Performed research on musical ensemble classification techniques
- Studied percussion expression; Developed novel accelerometer-based percussion gesture detection, classification and sound synthesis algorithm
- Researched, implemented real-time beat-tracking algorithm for real audio; Optimized algorithm for computational efficiency and use on mobile devices
- Developed device-agnostic multi-touch library for large multi-touch devices, including the Microsoft Surface and custom-built Frustrated Total Internal Reflection (FTIR) device
- Created several new music interfaces for multi-touch devices, including the MusiCube 3D sequencer, SimpleDrum percussion simulator, and Waveform Audio Generator
- Led sessions on audio signal aliasing for the Summer Music Technology program
Research Assistant, DAAD RISE Fellow, Lehrstuhl fur Kommunikationsnetze, Technische Universitat Dortmund, Germany.
June 2011 - September 2011.
- Implemented a power-consumption model for Android mobile devices
- Collaborated with advisors and graduate students on technical issues and German-English translations for several scientific papers
Research Assistant, ACIN Center, Drexel University, Camden NJ.
September 2008 - December 2009.
- Created VOIP library and plugin for C2MINCS command and control software
- Designed, coded control software for remote robotic platform (Pioneer running ARIA)
- Wrote logging scripts for and participated in WiMAX testing in Philadelphia
CS 121-123 Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer Science, Drexel University, Philadelphia PA.
March 2009 - June 2012
- Provided in-class help to students taking CS 121-123, the introductory programming course for all engineers at Drexel University
- Held office horus and provided one-on-one tutoring for students
- Monitored message boards and online chat to answer questions posed by students
Help Desk Assistant, Department of Computer Services, Temple University, Philadelphia PA. June 2007 - September 2009
- Provided one-on-one computer solutions for students and faculty
- Performed full virus-removal on student and faculty computers
- Helped resolve in-dorm computer and networking issues for students
Software Tester, Law Manager, Conshohocken, PA.
June 2006 - September 2006.
- Authored unit tests for Law Manager case management system
- Performed user interface testing for client-side application
- Composed internal help articles for case management software
- Bash Scripting
- Objective C
- Adobe Lightroom
- Adobe Photoshop
- Microsoft Office
Awards and Honors
- NSF GRFP Award (2012-2015)
- ASEE SMART Scholarship (2012, Declined)
- DAAD Rise Fellow (2011)
- Eta Kappa Nu (HKN), IEEE Honor Society (2011-2012)
- Drexel Presidential Scholarship (2007-2012)
- Drexel Pennoni Honors College Member (2007-2012)
- Drexel Dean's List (2007-2012)
- New Jersey Robert C. Byrd Scholarship (2007-2011)
- US Presidential Scholars Nominee (2007)
- Valedictorian of Triton Regional High School (2007)
- 1600 SAT Score (800 Math, 800 Verbal) (2006)